Monday, April 20, 2009

Dave Uhrich

So I went to see a show recently, and was kind of tired so I showed up a little late hoping to miss whatever schlock was opening. However, I failed to realize that they were giving a 90-minute set to the opener and caught about 75 minutes of it. That said, when I walked in, almost a quarter of the crowd's faces were already melted off.

With original songs with names like "Occam's Razor" and "Absolution" and a bass player who would have jabbed himself in the neck if he had worn it any higher, the Dave Uhrich Band was 5% drum solo, 5% slap bass off, 45% regular guitar solo, and 45% finger tapping guitar solo. 0% vocals, because there was too much solo to waste time with vocals.

He covered Bohemian Rhapsody...all of it...on guitar...by himself.
Then he played a medley of just the solos from Stairway to Heaven, We Will Rock You and Hotel California, followed by all of Eruption and the entire Star Spangled Banner.
And then a full cover of Tom Sawyer.

I found out later the guy is Guitar World's 31st ranked living guitarist. I have to admit, when I walked in I was kind of laughing because this guy appeared to be just jacking off really f'ing hard all over his guitar, but in the end it was so over the top you couldn't help but appreciate it.

That and everyone's face was melted.

2 comments:

  1. were you "fret.no.tized?" why didn't you use this word somewhere in your post?!!?!?1

    good post though, I was laughing out loud last night

    ReplyDelete
  2. who was the headlining band?
    is headlining one word?

    ReplyDelete