Thursday, February 19, 2009

big bad world


I'm a pretty paranoid person. For instance, when I go to throw my garbage down the trash chute, I am convinced someone is hiding behind the door ready to shove me down the chute. Where did this paranoia come from? So now instead of just throwing my trash away like a normal person I have to make a big scene swinging open the door to make sure no one is lurking behind it. I've spent more than a few hours debating internally a) why anyone would do this b) why anyone would care enough c) if I would actually fit down there and d) what sorts of things I'd see, assuming I made it to the dumpster and didn't get stuck in the chute.

Imagine my relief when I realized I could blame this all on television. I remembered waaaaaay back to J646: Mass Media and the Consumer and the 'Big Bad World Theory.' I'm guessing that's not the scientific name. And you also don't exactly have to be a genius to realize that my 8 hour Law and Order marathons might have a little something to do with the fact that I think someone has the LAMEST life ever and just sits in a 3 x 5 foot room waiting to toss victims down a trash chute.

It makes me wonder if other people have these weird fears like I do. My friend Adam is afraid of turkeys. That's pretty hilarious. Anyone else care to share?

1 comment:

  1. The only thing I want to share is that next time I'm in Madison, I will be hanging out behind that door....waiting....and then striking

    ReplyDelete